Website Categories

Followers

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Art Adventure

I have not blogged for a while and just wanted to update you on my recent adventures.

I have been reading a lot about altered art and mixed media. I am not sure I am too keen on it all but it is interesting to see how inspiring art is. I am wondering if all of us are artists in some way. After I learned about mixed media art I realized art is what we all perceive as beautiful or meaningful. Something that moves us to emotion. To someone else it may be a messy canvas with a bunch of paper stuck to it. Not to mention a motor part or broken watch glued on top.

I've always wanted to be an artist. However , I've never had much of a talent for drawing or painting. Ideas flood my brain but much of the time the finished product does not come out looking like the image I conjured up in my mind's eye. I am not a patient person and often expect to finish my projects between 10:00-11:00 pm before I head off to bed. Or in between dinner and playing with my children. Ya know, anytime a free minute is available. Art grows on you and I have to take the time to cultivate it. It can not be hurried. So as you can imagine I have about 15 projects started that I need to finish and who knows if they will ever turn out worthy of an artist.

Recently, I searched the web for some vintage images of Mexico. I am very passionate about the culture and people of Mexico. I see so much hope and dream in their eyes. I am starting a mixed media collage using freedom as a theme. I am choosing Mexican children from the 50's and 60's as the focal point. They are the old men and women we see working in the fields and orchards today. With their weather worn faces and worn out sandals still hoping for freedom to live here with out fear or being hated or discriminated.

Free? What does it mean to me? And them?

I will update you later on my progress.

No comments: