Website Categories

Followers

Friday, January 8, 2010

Altered Puzzle Pieces



One of my favorite hang outs is Flickr.  I'm always looking for copyright free images or pincushion patterns or whatever else I need help making.  Recently my search lead me to these neat altered puzzle pieces.  I had to try them.  Problem was I did not realize what I was getting myself into.  Firstly, I did not have any puzzle pieces to use.  So... I found a template online that I printed and sized according to my needs.  Then I cut out each puzzle piece and glued it to light weight cardboard.  Then cut them out again.  Not pleased with the rough edges, I used a fingernail file to 'sand' the edges.  The blue one has about 3 layers on it because I struggled with a background that I liked.  It is my first one.  Well as trial and error always prevails, I ventured on.  I sanded and inked and added some vintage text and images.  Finally I embellished with some flowers and a dragonfly.  Satisfied.

The second one, that says I do, was much easier.  I drew the shape of the puzzle piece directly on to the image.  Positioning it to show most of the ladies face and hand.  Then I glued it to the cardboard.  Sand, Ink,a dded some lace and a big rock and lastly ribbon and little metal key.  Wow!  This one was my favorite. 

No comments: